Sunday, December 6, 2009

THE COW LAMENTS

COW LAMENTS

Dr K Prabhakar Rao


I am the noted Indian holy cow
Who gave this name why and how?
I am much revered in Indian texts
And I am lamenting in some context

I am worshipped by the Hindus in India
And much glorified by the media
Next door a Muslim butchers me on the road
On the flowing blood are seen many jumping toads

People suck away last drop of my milk for their treats
Once I am dry leave me on the cruel street
I roam around eating filth and paper and rags
However my name as holy cow is printed on shopping bags

On festivals people worship me praying hoarse
Once over I am whipped without any remorse
My calf is forced out from me
And sold to butchers a truth it could be

Banning cow slaughter is an election trick
The slogan was heard by Muslims with great prick
In a land of Hindus I have no say
My meat is gulped and blood will flow come what may

India is in the hands of crooks and nuts
Who have no potency and lack guts
For capturing power they will sell the nation
While I and my calf are deprived of simple ration

Dr K Prabhakar Rao

No comments: