Saturday, December 6, 2008

INTO THE PAST WITHPAIN



INTO THE PAST WITH PAIN

Prof Dr Colonel K Prabhakar Rao ( retired)

SCENE VII

The Capitol house stands imposing in the city of Washington. To a side under a tree an old bald man is sitting on a white bedspread. He is infact leaning on a heavy pillow with a bottle of water next to him. He is wearing a garland of flowers. A banner is displayed in front of make shift tent. On the banner is written, “ Hunger strike by MK Gandhi against violence by American Government around the world”… Many passers- bye curiously stop in front of the tent and peep at the old man

Visitor.. Hello sir. Who are you and why are you doing this in this land?

Old man. I am Gandhi, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Husband of Kasturba Gandhi, Father of Devdas Gandhi, The great Bapu for Indians and father of Indian nation. I am also titled Mahatma ( Great soul), Half naked Fakir as per Britishers.

Visitor. That is fine. Very interesting. But why are doing this drama and show here? Your country is there. Buddy! don’t you have any other work? Why do not you do these tricks in your place?

Gandhi ( Laughs) Haa…. Haaa.. I did those many years ago in my place to my stomach fill. Now I have no work to do. So I thought of keeping myself and others also busy at other places. If I have work why should be here? Your land stands for liberty. Is it not true?

Visitor. Ok! That is fine and takes care of you. You are looking like a famished skeleton. Can you survive the hunger strike? Do not waste time. There is plenty to eat here. Let us go to Macdonald that is close by. Or else you may die of hunger.

Gandhi. That is God’s wish. ( Sings)

My God is looking at me dear
Do not be taken over by fear
I am famished no doubt and lean and thin
Just like a rotten empty rusty tin

Yet I would fast
And stand like a ship mast
You may appear aghast
Waiting here till the last


(Visitor gets worked up and screams in utter disgust and goes away. Gandhi has a gramophone next to him. There is no electric supply in the camp. Therefore, he is clever enough to get one His Masters Voice Gramophone with a large brass cone. Gandhi winds the spring, changes steel needle and wipes the record with a cloth and plays a record. There comes out a blaring Ramdhun song…..)

Eeeee….eee..Raghupathi raagahava rajaa raam … Pateetha paawana seetha raam.. Ishwar allah teronam… Sab ko sanmathi de bhagwan… Raghupathi….

(Salutations to Lord Rama…The one who purifies and liberates the fallen… Ishwar ( Hindu god) and Allah are your names.. Give wisdom to all…. )

(Speed drops down due to weak spring in the machine giving out slow speed version of the song.. It sounds as if a calf is singing the song… Gandhi hurriedly winds the handle and gramophone picks up speed.. Gandhi smiles.. There are many watchers at the camp many putting on Hollywood hats and suits…They clap as Gandhi does some shake. In the mean time a police cab arrives with a siren blaring.. From it step out some police officers. These are American well built police men with white shirt tucked in a black pant with holster and a hand gun buckled in it. They put on a peak cap. They look different from the ill clad Indian constables who go around in Indian cities eating pawn ( Beatle leaf) putting worn out peak caps and wearing chappals too. The police men go to the tent and confront Gandhi )

Police man.. Hey buddy! Who are you? What is this nonsense going on here? Wanna.. kick on….

Gandhi. Look son! I am Gandhi, Mahatma, Father of India, I am doing hunger strike in American main land

Police man. Look old man ! I am not your son any way. Look! You are so dark and I am so white. Why fast?. Can’t you digest food? Why go hungry? There is plenty to eat in America.

Gandhi. It is not that. I am protesting against American violence around the world

Policeman.. This looks strange. Why should you protest? You do not belong to this land. Our own country men are keeping quiet. Which bug has bitten you?. You ought gonna.. mad buddy. You need a double kick on….aa…

Gandhi. Laughs .. Heee…. Hee.. Hu.. haa.. hu haa.. What is so different? Have already received so many kicks on my back in India. I am protesting because you are not protesting.

Police man.. Oh! Confusing, but interesting indeed. But this is not allowed here. Have you taken any permission to set up this camp?

Gandhi. I do not need any permission. I am above these things. I did not take any permission from Englishmen in India. Permission is to be taken by those who generally are not permitted to do some fasting in an unpermitted area.

Policeman.Oh God! What a confusing language? But this is not England. This is USA.( Shouts eee… eeee ) Scratches his head after taking out hat. ( With in himself…Is this guy follower of Confucius of China? All his words are highly confusing indeed.) (Looking at his friend) Hey Robert! What should we do with this guy? He appears to be a mad nut.

Robert. Hey Mr Gandhi.. You have to pack off from here. We can not allow this drama. This is a high security zone. Please pack up

Gandhi. No. Over my dead body

Robert. Come on old man. Don’t act funny. Please listen to us. Wind up and go home. Otherwise I have to arrest you

Gandhi. Please do. I am waiting for that… Sings

I have been taking here rest
So now you can arrest
I am far away from my nest
And people say I am the best

I am giving you dear a difficult test
Please do not treat me as a mere pest
My career has achieved the glory and crest
And I don’t want to take any rest


Robert. (Getting angry and gets worked up with the song) Look old man. I am giving five minutes to pack up or else I have to dispose off you

Gandhi. I have seen many guys like you in India. You can’t do any thing. Relax! Go and tell your Boss

Robert. I am the boss here

Gandhi. Haa.. Haaa. Then what prevents you? You are scared.

Robert. There you are. Are you sent by Bin Laden to create trouble here? Looks so (Takes out his pistol and cocks it…)

Police man.. Hey Robert. Don’t be in hurry. This guy is already half dead. Let us arrest him and take away. Why waste a bullet on him.

( Robert calls for other police men and they arrive and pull down the tent and bodily lift Gandhi along with Gramophone and dump him in the police car. The car speeds away screaming. Gandhi is taken to the police station and he is locked up in a cell)

In the cell, Gandhi sits down and is busy cleaning the gramophone. After some time he plays a record…The song blares out…

Watan ki rah mey watan ke naujawan shaheed ho… pukarthe hai ye zamin aasmaa shaheed ho… oh….

Police man. Hey. What does that song mean?

Gandhi. Better know friend! Oh! Youth! Sacrifice yourself in the cause of the nation.. It is a song of inspiration.

Police man. There is no youth of your country here to kill themselves for nation. This is not India.

Gandhi. You know! There are thousands of Indians here doing studies and jobs

Police man. ( Laughs) Hee… Heee.. Hooo. Hoo.. All these guys are busy in universities and doing jobs. They are here to make some quick money and be after some lasses and dames and clubs. Get a job and then run for green card. Try to get married to some local dames for citizenship. Or they run to India to get married to desi girl. They ditch them too. They ditch American girls too. Then these white girls run to India to complain. We had enough of these things. Do you think they care for you?

Gandhi. I am sure they will

Police man. I doubt (He calls another sergeant and sends him to a nearby place where many Indians live with a request to get some youth. He at once runs and after some time arrives with a dozen of them)

Gandhi.. Hoi. Sons!. How are you?

Youth. My name is Arin.. Wow.. I call myself here as Rin. He is Tarakeshwar and we call him Trash.. Hey old guy why you have called us here? We are not your sons any way. Gonna crazy..

Gandhi. Look . Why don’t you speak like an Indian? Why this slang wanna… and banana…. Don’t you know me? I am bapu, Mahatma Gandhi from India. Have you heard that song on Gramophone?

Rin. So what? I do not know you. Some where in history books I read your name years ago. Why are you here now? Your days are over. No one will die for you now. Enough of it, Indians had with you. We have better things to do.

Trash. Come on Arin. Let us not waste time with this guy. We have many things to do. We have to go to Wall mart today urgently.

Rin. Yeah . I remember. Ok Sergeant! Take care of this guy. We have nothing to do with him.

Gandhi. That is unfair on your part. I gave you freedom from Englishmen

Rin. That is the worst thing you have done to India. I am sure Englishmen got rid off you guys. It was more a burden after World War II. The country was already sucked out by them. There was nothing left. So they left. That is the story in nutshell. There is nothing great you have done except that you created Pakistan a great headache for whole world. Pakistan now is world’s greatest terrorist center. I learnt that they are running a University of terrorist studies where guys graduate in terrorism. It is called Zia ul Haq University of Terrorism. They award bachelor, Post graduate and doctoral degrees too. Bin Laden is the Chancellor of the University while AlZawhari is the vice chancellor. All International terrorist leaders are the visiting faculty there. Now look! What Pakistan has done to you? Bombay has been blasted. The terrorists played havoc in India. It is ok they died and they were prepared. But they have achieved what they wanted. The Home Minister resigned. Along with chief minister of a state A scape goat found atlast. But will it make any change?


Trash. Hey Gandhi !Now don’t waste our time

Police man. Look old man. Have you heard what your men said? That is the reality. Better behave now. Your youth are no more ready to die for you.

Gandhi. I shall go on fast now from here ( Gets up in cell shakes his fist in air violently looking at sky.. Sings….)

Oh God! I shall fast come what may
And for the success I shall pray
My words in the world are the final say
And remember my words in this month of May


Police man. ( Gets upset.. shouts) Shut up old man… You can not do it here. This is Marshal’s office

( In the meantime District Marshal John Mackain arrives)

Police man. Sir. This guy is acting funny. He was fasting at Capitol House and creating nuisance. So we brought him here. Now he is threatening that he would fast here and go on hunger strike. He is singing poems too.

Marshall. I learnt you are Gandhi. What is troubling you? Why are you creating new problems to us and to you too? This is not India. There you can do any thing. Look! What the terrorists have done to you? They have a nice time there. Here law is very strict.

Gandhi. You can not force me. I am very strong mentally although not physically.( Sings)

I am a tough and rough guy indeed
And India I have freed by my deed
I underwent many hectic fasts
And raised Indian flag onto a high mast

Marshall. Come on guys. This nut does not listen. He is reciting poems too. Catch this fellow and suspend him upside down. Let him know what America is ( Swings his baton in air and… sings )

I am the great Yankee here
And I have no slightest fear
All indiscipline I shall cut and tear
You guys! My punishments one can not bear.

( Police men catch hold of Gandhi, give good bashing and suspend him upside down.. They tie a rope around Gandhi’s fore head and a guy twists the rope. Gandhi shouts…

Gandhi. arre… arrre.. Mar gaya ( I have died. Bachao ( save me ), Hey Ram.. Hey Ram

Sergent. Who is this Ram.. he is calling. From where he will come?

Marshall. I do not know. Ask him

Sergent. Hey !Whom you are calling?

Gandhi.. Sri Ram… The Lord of Hindus.. Incarnation of Lord Vishnu the almighty

Sergent. Does he stay in America ? Which state? ( Blinks his eyes)

Marshal. Fool! He is remembering God as we remember Jesus

Sergent. Oh.. Laughs. ( He gives a push with a stick in Gandhi’s stomach while Gandhi moans and sergeant laughs.. heee… heee and goes away laughing)

Gandhi. ( Closes eyes in pain).

In the distance CH Atma is heard singing

Oonchinichi… oonchinichi dagar jeevanki
chalana sambhalke pyaare sambhalke chalana
manzil ho hai badee dhoor..

( the path of life enroute is full of obstacles.. carefully tread the path and the destination is far ..)

CH Atma with Ektara ( a one string poor man’s Sitar)comes to Gandhi and looks at him and continues to sing…

Tumhi safar mey lakho chor milenge tho bhi…
karnee karnee hai zarroor…
Dharma karam kee Jholee kahaan pe gawayee tune
poochenge tere huzoor.. sambhal ke chalna.
manzil tho hai bahut dhoor

Gandhi. Hello Atmaji.. How are you? Your song is appropriate indeed.

Atma. Namaste Bapu. What a sad state you are in? Why are you stuck here? My songs are appropriate for occasion.

Gandhi. I wanted to protest against American violence around the world right in Washington.. So like this

Atma. Bapu! You must know. Your days are over. Things have greatly changed in world. Please don’t live in a fool’s paradise. These people are Americans, not Indians to blindly follow you. You know world is in full grip of violence and terrorism. Can you change terrorists with your sermons? They shall blow you up. I can not imagine you going to Taj Hotel at Bombay and singing Ram dhun and fasting to bring some change in heart of Terrorists few days go. You could not even do that is 1947. You are theories are out dated. What people need is a stick and kick.


Gandhi.. Please do not say Bombay.. Maharshtrians will get upset.. Call it Mumbai

Atma. Sorry Bapu… Haa. .. Haa. It is Mumbai.. I shall correct myself… After all we have to take care of sentiments. Bapu I say again that you shall not succeed here. Please give up. Bapu. You know! Madras has been changed to Chennai, Calcutta is renamed as Kolkata, Bangalore is now Bengaluru. But Hyderabad remains same. It is not named Bhagyanagar

Gandhi. They can not do for the fear of minority backlash… Hyderabad was Built by Mohammed Kuli Kutub shah and called it Bhagyanagar after his love Bhagyamati whom he married and later she was called Hyder Mahal after assuming Islam. Andhrites can never dream of renaming Hyderabad as Bhagyanagar and it would remain the dream. The funniest part is that some of the terrorists want to liberate Hyderabad that was annexed from Nizam a Muslim ruler in 1948. Similarly Junagarh also they want to liberate that was taken over by India after partition after a referendum.

Atma. Real crazy nuts indeed. Something really wrong with them. Needs to be set right

Gandhi. Really true. Shall we go and do some fasting infront of them. It may change their hearts.

Atma. (Holds his head) (Within himself… What a crazy guy indeed) Bapu come on! Just now got fixed with the Marshal here. Why want to get into trouble? Things have changed greatly in India too (sings)

What we need back in India is a stick
And also a mighty and sound kick
The leaders are busy in India playing many a trick
For votes they are ready for a bootlick

Gandhi. May be true. But I am sure I shall win the hunger strike. Without sacrifices nothing can be achieved. More over I feel very itchy without fasts and strikes. That is my main area.

Atma. No Bapu. Please stop this. You can not do any thing here. Your reputation would be at stake. You are too old to take this strain. See your body. There is nothing left in this. You look so famished and starved.

Gandhi. Look Atma. From my deeds Indian leaders took the cue and are doing fasts in India on various issues. Isn’t it great?

Atma. Bapu That is all bogus. All these leaders are well fed and over weight too. I am sure before any hunger strike they eat well, fill their bellies with chicken, mutton and all nice stuff and then sit under a tent wearing a garland. This is a gimmick and publicity stunt. Then after one or two days some leader arrives and gives out some juice to break the fast. I am sure these fasting leaders quietly take some thing in darkness.

Gandhi. I can not believe. They keep my photo in the tent

Atma. (Laughs) Bapu. You are a simple guy. These leaders are crooks to be precise. Do not compare them with Patel or Nehru and other great ones. These are the biggest opportunists masquerading as patriots. Most of them involve in scams, brawls, shoot outs, smuggling. Better speak less about them. It is repulsive.


Gandhi. Are you sure ? If so how to get away respectfully from this quagmire?

Atma. Tell Marshall that you will not do hunger strike and go back to India. Feel sorry for what you have done here. He may ask you to write an apology.


Gandhi. OK.. ( Call the sergeant)..

Atma. Sergeant sir! please come here

Sergeant. Now what is there? Any tricks to escape?

Gandhi. Mr Sergeant. Tell Marshall that I want to see him

( In the meantime Marshal arrives on a visit)

Gandhi. Hello Marshall! Please bring me down. I shall stay out from hunger strike

Marshal. That is good. Is it a trick? Who is the new guy here with a fidle

Atma. This is not violin. This is Ektara, that is an instrument with one wire. I am Atma. CH Atma, Famous for Songs from Movie Nagina .. (Sings in very deep and heavy voice)


Rounwu mai saagar ke kinaaare.. ye..ye..ye..
Sagar hasee udaye.. ye..ye
Rounwu mai saagar ke kinaaare.. ..
Sagar hasee udaye.. ye..ye …
Jaag mere

( I cry on sea shore and the sea mocks at me..)

Marshall. Okhe.. Okhe… Do not cry.. But there is no sea around. Do not sing cry songs as we do not understand..

Atma. Bapu! Please leave. Marshal sir, I will take him away. Sir, He shall not give you any trouble. Please spare him. He has become very old. Does not know what is up to.

Marshal.. OK Sergeant .Looks like that. Bring this nut down. Mr Atma! You appear to be a sane guy. I like you. ( Atma tries to play his ektara )

Marshal.. No ,,,, No… please do not play. It is not necessary. I appreciate you.

(Sergeant unties the ropes of Gandhi and he is brought down. Gandhi’s head whirls and he falls down unable to stand.. Marshal throws some water on Gandhi’s face.. Gandhi wakes up and gets up)

Marshal.. Now look! Gandhi. Sign on this paper. I shall let you off. If you do anything again, I shall send you to Guatemala prison. Remember. You have wasted lot of our time.

Gandhi. Ok Sir.. I shall not do ( He signs papers of undertaking. Ch Atma signs as witness)

( Gandhi and Atma walk off from police station and enroute they see KC Dey who is blind and sitting under a tree with a harmonium)

KC Dey sings with Harmonium..

Teri Gattadi me laaga chor musafir jag zara… Jaag zaraa..aaaa….aaaaa Teri Gattadi me laaga chor musafir jag zara… Too kahtahai itna hai ye…

(Gandhi goes to KC Dey)

Gandhi. Hello Dey sahib.. Please come with us. Do not sit alone here.. I feel sad

KC Dey.. So nice of you sir.. Who is with you? (Sings)

Naina heen ko raha dikha prabhu.. pag pag thokar khawun mai prabhu.. Naina heen ko…. ( Oh lord! show path to this blind man.. who I at every step is striking against obstacles…)

Atma. Sir. I am CH Atma…(wipes tears looking at Dey.. Sings… Plays Ektara..trin…trin…trin)

Tumko apni… zindagi kaa.. aasraa samjhe tthe ham… Bewafaaa nikle ho tum kab bewafaa… samjhethe ham… Dil Bekaraaar hai… mera dil bekaraar hai…

KC Dey. Nice to hear you after so many years…. You were a great singer.. People compared you to Saigal sahib ( Gets up while Gandhi holds him by hand and all of them start walking on the foot path holding each others hand)

Atma. Thank you sir. I am no match to Saigal sahib. He was the greatest

KC Dey.. Atmaji. You are modest (looking at Bapu). Gandhiji How are you?

Gandhi. ( wipes his face) Sings…

Aab kaun hai mera…. aab kaun hai mera …. faryad hai… faryad hai takdeer ne loota hai basera. Mera loota hai basera…. Aab kaun hai mera.. Barbaad hai dil ujada hua ashaawonka mela hoon jagme akela….ujdee huyee. eee.. eee. ( From Anmol Ghadi)


CH Atma. Bapu that is the song from great singer Surendranath BA LLB. Be fitting song.. But why are you so distressed? We all are here for you..

(CH Atma and KC Dey console him… KC Dey sings playing harmonium…)

Babaa manki ankhe khol.. man ki ankhe khol … baabaa man ki ankhe khol… …….
Duniya kya hai Ek tamasha Char dino ki jhootee asha..

(Oh man … open the eyes of your mind… the world is a place of magic, illusion and drama.. And a place of false hopes for few days,,… open the eyes of your mind )

Gandhi cries… eee…eee..

They walk into distant haze while Gandhi’s stick makes sound tak..tak..tak…

( In the distance Surendranath BALLB is heard singing..

Bhoola jaaa… Bhoola jaa.. Bhoola jaa.. jo… dekh taa hai.. Jo hai dekhaa bhoola jaa.. Yaad rakh kar kyaa karegaa. Ye tamaasha.. bhoola jaa..

( Forget the things that you have seen.. What will you do by remembering them that you have seen.. )

DR K Prabhakar Rao

No comments: