Tuesday, December 2, 2008

INTO THE PAST WITH PAIN... VI

INTO PAST WITH PAIN
SCENE VI

Gandhi walks on the road singing the song when an open- top ( Convertible) large car of 1946 model Bentley glides and stops in front of him. From it, steps down a 6 Ft tall well built handsome man in full suit with cigar and Hollywood hat. Lo ! He is Surendranath BA LL B the famous singer actor of yester years. He goes to Gandhi and wishes him.

Surendra. Hello Gentleman. I am sure you are Mr Gandhi, Bapu, the father of Indian nation. I am Surendranath BA LLB. I am happy that you are singing my song from Anmol Ghadi the eternal hit. The master piece ,the film that has immortalized me and madam Noorjehan. I acted with Mallika e Tarannum , Noorjehan.
in 1947. Don’t you remember Bapu?

Gandhi. I do not know from which movie it was. I used to hear over radio and Gramophone too. Any how I am happy to see you

Surendra. ( Appearing a bit upset) Do not worry Bapu. Where is the time for you? You were busy with jails, violence and fasts. I am generally known as Surendra. I was the Saigal of Bombay initially although afterwards I had my own clout and came out of his influence. I had many many popular Hits. ( Sings)… Teri.. Yaad ka deepak jaltahai…. ( From Gawaiyya. 1954).

Gandhi. That is good. I remember I heard your name. Your song is too good. It fits in to my present occasion. I also remember your famous sad song… Tera jahan aabaad Hai… Mera jahan bar baad hai…Faryad Hai… (from movie Elan). ( Your world has flourished and my world is doomed.. I pray to you…). I also like your song…. Kahe akelaa dolat baadal mohe bhi sang le jaaaa… Aaa… aaaa… Haa… ( Why the cloud alone slowly shakes and moves… Take me also along..) (From Gramophone singer) All your songs are befitting.

Surendra.. Thanks sir. Remembering many songs.. I am honored.

Gandhi. I am much impressed with Saigal too .. Jab dil hee toot Gaya .. Ham jeeke kya karenge.. (What will I do by living when my heart is broken.. ) (From Shajehan)

Surendra.. Yes sir. I also like that song greatly. Saigal was my good friend. Poor guy died early

Gandhi. Yeah.. I heard by drinking and drinking… and drinking …. alcohol.

Surendra. True. I am not sure he had any reason for drinking that much. Some say he suffered diabetes and to over come the pain he used to drink…

Gandhi. That is the reason I recommended prohibition in India. If it was implemented Saigal would have lived for some more time.

Surendra. True. Sir, We lost a great guy too early. He could have sung some more great songs. Dear Bapu, How can prohibition succeed in India? Every second guy drinks in India. Could you enforce prohibition in your own state Gujarat. You could not do. Some name sake prohibition is there in your place. Every one knows how it works. Every state in India is busy minting money from liquor. Andhra Pradesh appears supreme in this aspect.

Gandhi.. All good people die young like Saigal.. Look Surendra ! I failed to implement prohibition. Any how we have to go with time. We can not swim against current. We get drowned. Bye the bye why do you always write BA LLB with your name ? I also did law. I never write.

Surendra.. Sir You said all good people die young. I died in 1987 after I crossed 70 plus. Was I a bad guy?

Gandhi. No.. No.. I did not mean it.

Surendra.. Thanks. You said about my BALLB. … Laughs loudly in typical Surendra style.. When I joined the movies in nineteen thirties, there was none like me.. so handsome.. in Hindi films. I was the most handsome actor at that time. I came to Bombay to become a lawyer. But I landed in films as actor singer. Soon I was called Saigal of Bombay. I wanted to be something special. So I insisted that my title should display BA LL B… (laughs again). Thank you sir for meeting. Kindly bless me sir, that people will not forget me and my songs.

Gandhi.. Ok.. Bye

Surendra.( sings)

Ek bar phirse Aaja.. Dil me mere samaaja… Aai zindaki raahat. Aai jannato ki jannat.. Ek baar musakaraaja.. Dil mein mere samaajaa….. ( From Elan )

(Surendranath BA LLB stylishly with long steps goes to the car and drives out in style smiling)

Poor Gandhi drags his feet on the road while the stick makes sound tak..tak…tak

( Great Kundan lal Saigal is seen sitting under a tree singing famous song with harmonium. He has a scarf around his head tied like Saibaba…Sings

…. Panchi re… ee… ee.. ye.. ye.. Panchee.. Kahe houth udaas.. Panchee… ee..ee … Kahe Houth udas… Too todana mankee aas panchee… ee… ee… Kahe houth udas… Pancheee… eee… eee… ( Meaning Oh birdee! Why are you morose? Do not loose hopes and why are you morose ) The slow deep tone in agony is pathetic and Gandhi wipes tears as he walks away with head down )
Saigal continues..

Dekh Ghataye aayihain.. Dekh sandesa layihain… Pinjara le kar ud jaa… panchi.. Jaa, saajan ke paas.. Panchi… kahe.. Houth udaas.. Panchi… eee.. eee.. kahe houth udaas. ( Look.. the clouds have come and brought a message.. Now run away along with your cage,, Why do you be morose.. Oh birdie…)

Saigal (Sees Gandhi walking on the road and goes to him). Salaam , Gandhiji. Bapu nice to see you. Where are you going at this odd time?

Gandhi. Who is there? Kundal lal Saigal. I heard you singing just now.. Panchi re… It was so nice. So befitting song

Saigal. Thanks bapu. I always sing befitting songs. (From pocket takes a bottle and gulps few drops of whisky)…
( Gandhi looks other way) Saigal again sings

Piye jaa.. aur piye jaa… Zindagika.. yehihai Mudda… Aur Piye jaa.. Sochtahai kya… aur piye jaa.. Bothal utha.. aur piyejaa….

Gandhi. Saigal saab. You have not stopped drinking. Drinking like hell. Look! you have spoiled your health

Saigal.( Laughs in dejection.. sings )

Dukh ke…. Dukh ke. Abdin Beetath naa hin…….Sukh ke.. ye…ye… Eka sapana thah Dukh ke.. Naa my kisseeka… Naa koyee mera…( The days of sorrow do not pass. Comfort was a dream.. I am of none and none is mine…) ( From Devdas)

( In the distance Mukesh is heard singing.. Dil. Jalta hai tho jalne de. Aansu na bahaa faryaad na kar dil… Jalta hai tho jalnede…..Masoom Nazar pe teer chala… aaa..aaayin…) Saigal wipes his tears.

Gandhi. Do not feel so sad . We are there for you

Saigal..Sir! What can you do for me? No use sir. It is an eye wash… (Sings) Ab kuch soojhat naahi… eeee.. more.. Dukh ke.. ee.. ee. Dukh ke (I can not think of anything..of sorrow,,,) ( From Devdas)

Gandhi. Look MrSaigal. Devadas is dead long time ago. Now please wake up. Look at reality.

Saigal..(Sings) Toot gaye sab sapne mere… Ye do naina saawan bhado barse saanjh savereye.. ye.. ye.. Toot gaye sab sapne mere….ye ( From Parwana )

Gandhi. Why are you so much upset Mr Saigal?

Saigal.. Bapu. I had to die young while at the top of my career.

Gandhi. That is because of your drinks


Saigal.. No bapu. It is fate.(Sings)

Chaha barbaad kare gi hame maalum na tha… aaaa. Chahah barbad karegi hame maalum na tha… aaa. ( From Shahjehan)

( I did not know that desire would ruin me…)
Rothe rothe hi kategi hame.. maalum na tha… aain…… Chaha barbad kare gi hame maalum nathaa ( From shahjehan)

(I did not know that life would be spent crying…)

Maut bhi hampe hasegi hame maa….lum natha…..Zindagi roug bane gi hame maa loom natha… Chaha…( I never knew that death would laugh at me..)( From Shajehan)

(Gandhi goes to Saigal and pats and wipes his tears with his cloth. Saigal weeps with hiccups..)

Gandhi.. Look Mr Saigal you said no one can change fate.

Saigal ( Slowly gets composed) True bapu.. Sorry, I got sentimental

( In distance Kavi Pradeep is found singing…)

Koi Laakh kare chaturayee karam kaa lekh mite naare bhayee…karam ka lekh mitenare bhayee..
Is duniya mein bhagya ke age chale na kisee kaa upaay..
Kagaz ho tou sab koi baache karam naa baachaa jai.. …
Ik din isee kismat ke kaaran ban ko gaye re Raghu rayee re.. karam kaa lekh mite naare bhayee…. Koyee…

( Inspite of many clever doings no one can change fate, In this world nothing would work against fate…. Know this.. )

Gandhi.. Cheer up Mr Saigal. .Look Pradeep is singing such a real truth. No one can go against fate. Did you ever think that you would become such great singer actor. You worked as clerk in railways and sold type writers for some time.. That is fate. I never thought I would become father of Indian nation. Subhas died young. He was big contender against me. Destiny removed him. There was no looking back for me and Jawaharlal. I am at top of world. I became Mahatma ( Great soul)

Saigal. Bapu ! If you were great soul why Godse shot you?

Gandhi. ( Getting irked up). It is different thing. Do not ask such questions. You may be put behind bars by Indian Government. Any thing about Godse and Gandhi’s death is a taboo.

Saigal. Bapu. But now I am in America

Bapu. You can be still exatricated to India. You know! Now a days, India and America are singing songs together. Better keep quiet.

Saigal. I am already dead. What they can do to me?

Gandhi. Saigal Better know I am at top of the world above all leaders

Saigal. (Within himself.. Yeah.. really on top of world in heavens or hell. Godse sent you there to live in top of world with few accurate Italian pistol shots..)

Gandhi.. I hear you are murmuring some thing

Saigal. Nothing bapu. I have some tooth ache. ( Sings)

Naina heen koraaha dikhaa prabhu… Pag pag thokar khawun main.. ye… Naina heen ko…Charo wor ghan ghora andhera.. Bhoolan javu rahaa teraa…. ( Bhagat Surdas)

( Oh god show path to this blind man who is facing hardships enroute… On all sides there is darkness and afraid I might loose the path….)

Gandhi..Why are you singing this song? You are not blind.. KC Dey should sing this song.. Poor guy He was blind.

Saigal.. Bapu, although we have eyes we are blind… We are unable to see the reality and truth.. so we are blind

Gandhi.. It is philosophy Mr Saigal. Look I am not blind . I can very well walk on this road without tumbling.

Saigal. I do not mean you are blind. You have not seen reality while you were struggling for freedom. You had blind faith in your policies and did not see realities. Your appeasement policies created Pakistan. So you are blind in reality although physically you were not blind. (Sings)

Andhe ki lathi.. Too hee hai… ye..ye.. Toohi jeevan ujiyaaraa hai.. Toohi aakar sambhaala prabho.. tera hi ek saharaa hai ( Dhoop Chaao)

Gandhi. You may say or sing anything. I was correct. How I can be blamed for creating Pakistan? They wanted it. They got it. I watched. My guys never wanted to compromise. They were scared too.

Saigal. God bless you. Bapu for all you have done.

Bapu. (Sings) Jo Beet chuki jo beeta chuki.. Ab Usaki yaad sataa ye kyo.. jo beet chukee jo beeta chuki

Saigal. Nice Bapu. You are singing my song to me itself.

( In the mean time A nymph is seen walking close by. She is beautiful and enchanting and scantily dressed. She resembles actress Helen. Saigal turns and runs to her and sings )

Do naina matware tihare hamper zulum kare… ye.. ye.. Hampar zulum kare

Naino mein rahe to sudhwudh khoye… Chupe tho chaina hare… ye.. Do naina…... ( From my sister)

Gandhi.( Runs to Saigal and catches his hand and brings him back) Come on Saigal . This is not movies. Some one will catch you and punish you

Saigal. What is there to be afraid of. I am already dead. I can not die again

Gandhi ( Holds his head) Oh. What a guy?

( In the mean time the nymph walks to them and confronts Gandhi )

Nymph. Hey old man. Why are you spoiling him. You have no interest in women I know. Why are you spoiling him? I am Helen the great dancer and wamp ( Sings)

Laga gayi Chot kaezwan me haye ramaa… Lag gayi chot..

Saigal ( Turns to her, goes close and sings)

Chupo naa Chupo naa Chupo naa… Chupo naa Chuponaa Pyaree sajania.. hamse Chupona chupona… Milne ko aayi hai…… ( From My sister)

(Gandhi gets upset and again catches hand of Saigal and takes him away )

Helen.. Oh jaane wale ho sake tho lout ke aana…. Ohhh)

Gandhi.. No never.. Come on do not spoil him.. go away.. or else I shall curse you

( Nymph Vanishes winking at Gandhi ) Gandhi gets upset says grrrr…rrrr.

In the mean time Surendranath BALLB and Mukhesh arrive again in a car, They step out. Leaning at the door Surendra sings looking at Saigal…..

Re… Bhanwaraa….. Madhuban mey math jaa rey bhanwara… madhuban mey math jaaa.. Abhi kamala ki kali khileenai… Too kyon goonja rahaa rey Bhawanra,,,, Madhuban…

Gandhi.. Hoi Surendra. What happened? You are back again

Surendra. Bapu, I was passing this way. I heard Saigal sahib singing and you admonishing.

Gandhi. No. no.. Nothing like that I was putting him on right track

Surendra. Bapu. Look who does not fall after seeing the lovely nymph? (Sings)…

Kyon usne dil diya.. Haye ye kya kiya… Sheeshe ko patthar se takraa gaya… Kyon…Jinko aataa nahi hai wafa kaa chalan.. ( From Anokhi ada)

Mukhesh. ( sings) Rukja wo jaane waali Ruk jaa.. aaaa.. mai tho rahi teri manzilkaa…

Surendra. After seeing the nymph, I also want to sing. ( Sings)

Mohaniyaa.. sundar mukhdaa khol.. Mohaniya… Sundar mukhdaaa khol… Sundar mukhdaaa kholl.. Mohaniyya…. Mankaa ho ek…zara dhilaasa kunwa paas aur phir bhi pyasa …..( From Lal haveli)

Saigal.. Surendra.. That was fine. Very well sung. Hello Mukhesh. How are you?

Mukhesh. Nice sir. After you left I felt miserable (Sings )..

Jil jalta hai tho jalne de… aaansu na bahaa faryaad naa kar… Dil Jalta hai tho jalne de… Massom nazar pe teer chalaaa.. aaa…aayen….( From Pehli Nazar)

Saigal.. That looks like me singing

Mukhesh. Sir I was called clone of Saigal Sahib.. This song became very famous and I became a star overnight. I feel dejected without you… ( sings)

Teri duniyaan mey dil lag taa nahin… Waapas bulaale.. Mai sazde mey giraa hun mujh ko maalik bulaaale…. Bhawar kaa sar naa chakaraye ( From Banwre nain)

Surendra.. Look Mukhesh. Control your emotions.

Mukhesh. Thanks sir.

Saigal. Thanks for sentiments. . Bapu. You have spoiled everything with that nymph

Gandhi... Come on Saigal! How can I allow such things when I am there? That too running after women. Is it our culture?

Saigal. Does it mean that I can do such things when you are not there? Please Bapu go away… go away.. I had so many dreams.. ( Sings )

Aaaaayin……. Ek bangala bane nyaraa.. kahe kunba jis me saaraa.. aaaa . ek bangala bane nyaara… Sone ka bangala.. chandan ka jangalaa….. ( From President)

Gandhi.. Come on Saigal do not dream.. Do some thing in real

Saigal. Bapu . I was trying to do some thing real. You have spoiled it

Gandhi.. Do not worry. You will get many chances here. Do you know there many nymphs here. They are Rambha, Oorvasi, Menaka, Tilottama, You may chance on any one of them some day. Your songs have become popular already here. Cheer up

Saigal. Ok Bapu. Smiles

(Surendra and Mukhesh say bye… see you… and go to car while Surendra sings..}

Surendra. Ham aur tum….. aur ye khushi…. Ye kahe…. Kahe…. ye dillagi….chupki huyee hai chandineee…ham aur tum….. ( From Ali Baba)

( Surendra and Mukhesh go away in their car )

(Both Gandhi and Saigal hold hands).

Gandhi. Look Saigal! for me everything around looks pleasant suddenly

Saigal. For me too. I do not know why?

Gandhi. Because sky is high. Come on! let us celebrate..

Saigal. Sir why not?. Takes out a bottle from his bag ( He is about to open the cap)

Gandhi…. NO… No,,, No drinks…. of course not with drinks

( Both sing in loud tone holding hands in the style of typical of films of 1935 )

Duniya rung rangeli baabaa Duniyaa rung rangeelee… Ye duniyaa eka sundara sapana sobha isake nyare hain… ( From movie Dhartimaata)

Saigal and Gandhi do some slow break dance steps and laugh haaa.. haa. haaa. Hiiii. Hiii. Heeee..Gandhi gets tired and sits down gasping while Saigal leans against a tree and sings.
.
Dukh ki nadiyaaan… Jeevan nayya aasha ke us paaar lage.. Oh nayya ke khene waale nayya teri paar lage….paar basat hai desh sunehra… KC Dey also joins singing Duniya… Rang Rangeli baba……

Dr K Prabhakar Rao

No comments: