Thursday, March 6, 2008

HE IS A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW ....... SO SAY ALL OF US

HE IS A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW… SO SAY ALL OF US

Prof Dr Colonel (Retired) K Prabhakar Rao

Army is famous for regimental traditions. The life at officers is peculiar to itself and most of the officers take pride in these traditions, at least outwardly. After spending more than two decades in service and burning the blood and tissues, I called it a day and hung my uniform to a great relief of my remaining life; indeed to say the truth. While in service, I attended many dinner night functions at various officers’ messes. In all these parties there was lot of mixing of seniors and juniors apart from homely atmosphere. In all these parties at the end, the guy usually high up with drinks and being dined out was bodily lifted up in a chair by the fellow officers singing “He is a jolly good fellow… so say all of us”. Then he was dumped out of the gate and he had to tell a dirty joke. Of course, ladies did not join this and stayed away. They had their own.
I used to wonder why and how this tradition started and what it really meant. In some units special chairs with extended poles were kept in the officers messes to dine out senior officers. I scratched my head severely several times to extract some answer for this vexing question. But to of no avail. I was at loss to loose some of my hair on my head that already has receding hair line. I actually wanted to enquire from senior guys who retired. But I felt small and thought that they would laugh and make joke out of me.
One day I happened to visit Rajendra Sinhji Institute (RSI) at Secunderabad and there I met a very aged and retired colonel who was gulping chilled beer. I said “Hello” and paid compliments. I introduced my self to him and slowly got into conversation with him. I learnt that he was miles senior to me and retired from an Infantry regiment nearly thirty years ago. He took active part in World WarII in Burma and Middle East. He proudly claimed that he shook hands with Field Marshal Montgomery of allied forces. I really envied him and with great difficulty and greatest humility put forward my doubt about dining out of the guys especially chair’s aspect. The old colonel smiled and patted me affectionately. I never felt so homely in the last fifty years except with my mother. I was of course scared of my dad even when I retired from Army. The old man went on to narrate a story occasionally gulping chilled beer.
It appears that once up on a time there was a military regiment stationed at MHOW that was the command Head Quarters during the War of 1857.It was responsible to fight Rani of Jhansi during the war. The regiment was commanded by a British Colonel. After a long stint he was posted to another station that was far away. The Colonel was very much upset as he was highly attached to the regiment. More over the regiment had a great history as one that laid seize to the fort at Jhansi in 1857. The regiment was presented colors by Queen Victoria after the war. The guy scuttled all moves for his transfer and finally he had to go. His second in command was to be promoted in his place. Probably the colonel would have taken it easy had some other Colonel was posted there instead of promoting his deputy. Any how he could not do any thing. On the day of handing over the colonel reported sick. But he was brought to the office in an ambulance and stretcher and was made to sign the handing over notes. There was also a talk that Deputy General Officer Commanding (DY GOC) thrust his heavy 0.455 Browning Semi automatic service Pistol at colonel’s temple and made him sign. The senior officer was present in the office to ensure that colonel would not play tricks and everything goes smoothly.
In the evening the colonel was invited to a dining out party at the officer’s mess where a regimental band was present. The Colonel under great grief attended the dinner. He was morose and did not touch food. Every one completed dinned and were yawning. It was midnight. Ladies were half asleep in the sofas while some were yawning showing all their teeth. At last the officers had to tell the colonel that it was already too late and the function had to be wound up. All the officers had to attend Physical Training parade in the morning. When there was no reaction from the guy and was not getting up from the chair, the officers forcibly lifted him up along with the chair. They carried him away shouting, “He was a horrible fellow… So say all of us…” and was dumped at the gate. He was forcibly put in a Austin 14 staff car. The car refused to start in cold winter. It was pushed and started and some officers went with him to his house. The entire thing was a big joke and the vexed up officers under influence of liquor abused him in filthiest language once he left the gate. They were greatly relieved.

The old colonel narrated the story and said that over the years the incident got converted into a tradition of seeing off the outgoing officer at a dining out party in the officer’s mess. At the gate the officer had to tell a filthy joke reminiscent of vulgar abuses showered on the Colonel in the past many years ago. I was very much convinced with the story narrated by the old colonel and felt happy that at last my head was cleared off the doubt that harbored for many years. As it is my head is always full of doubts. I thanked the senior colonel profusely, bowed to him, took his blessing and left the club. I had a very peaceful sleep that night and in the dream I found myself gaily shouting, “He is a jolly god fellow….” I woke up with a jerk when my wife gave me a jolt. She was yelling it was high time I should stop dreaming and shouting while asleep. She was cursing herself for marrying me. Three cheers to chair lifters, slogan shouters, and the cranky traditions…

Dr K Prabhakar Rao

No comments: