Saturday, March 15, 2008

AT AN AIR PORT

AT AN AIRPORT

Prof Dr Colonel ( Retired) K Prabhakar Rao

In India going to see off relatives at air port is considered as a great style.There is one guy travelling and there are dozens to see him off. This is more so when people go to Middle Esat and Dubai and emirates and on Hajj. The air port is crammed up. To control the crowd the governmnet has increased the rate of ticket and parking fees. Still there is no change. When a political leader is arriving or departing chas is so great that every one suffers. This is typical to India...



One upon a time I went to an air port
To see off a friend with whom I had no much rapport
At the entrance I saw a fleet of cars
While some burly men came right from the bras

The men were clad in spotless pyjamas and slacks
Some were also holding big gift packs
Few were sporting gold chains around their necks
And all wanted to reach the aero plane’s decks

They were seeing off a street bully and a hero
Who was a mere thug and mighty zero
The guy was drowned in a maze of garlands
I leant him to be a shepherd from highlands

All these guys blocked the entrance gate
While others cursed their fate
Then I saw a bunch of police men
Rushing to salute a recluse senior man

I bought a ticket to enter the waiting hall
Wanted to make home a telephone call
The phone was silent and dead
Through the window a cow laughed chewing cud

A pack of guys were garlanding a guy
Most of them did not know why
Kids were yelling in high pitch
And at entrance a dog was chasing a bitch

Then I moved to have a cup of tea
The guy at counter was in looting spree
A packet of chips he sold for rupees hundred and ten
I wanted to run away and sleep in my den

I saw off my friend at the gate
And left him there to his fate
The plane soared high into the sky
And as a fool I waived my hand high

Airport is a place where people are fleeced
And official/s palms can be easily greased
People take it as a matter of pride
That they at air port were peeled off their hide

Dr K Prabhakar Rao

No comments: